The original 300-seat Majestic Theatre was operating prior to 1941 and was destroyed by a tornado in 1953. At the time of its destruction by the tornado, the Majestic had been in operation since at least 1920.
A new Majestic Theatre was built and opened on January 9, 1954 with Audie Murphy in “Tumbleweed”. It had seating for 500, all on a single level. It was split down the centre in the late 1970’s to create the twin cinema we see today.
In 2013, a group of amazing people formed the Arts Council of Thayer County and began operating the theatre as a volunteer run entity. ACT raised funds to convert the projectors to digital display and renovated the building throughout.